Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Summer Vacation...and It's Right Down the Street

Last Saturday, my husband and I had to come into town to do some errands. Generally, I like to spend the weekends taking care of things at home, READING, cooking, etc. But it was such a beautiful sunny day as we were driving up Sheridan Street, I pointed out the entrance to the Bear River Valley Recreation Area and asked if he wanted to take a walk along the river(something I'd wanted to do for a while.)

We started out on the paved path and soon were marveling at this slice of nature that had been hiding from the casual visitor for so long. It truly was like a mini-vacation; it reminded me of numerous places that we've come upon when traveling, quickly clambering out of the car to walk a refreshing, forested path. There are large bouldered steps that lead to the river, bridges to view the current pass beneath your feet, and birds galore. The new kayak course creates rapids that challenge even experienced kayakers.


It made me think, as we headed home, about the sites and history of Petoskey that I know so little about. We've collected materials of local interest here at the library for years, and while I've leafed through some of them, I'm sure I could learn more by examining them more closely. This link takes you to our library catalogue holdings about Petoskey. Anyone can view these collections, and students and Emmet County residents have borrowing privileges. You don't need to wait for a rainy day, we're open Monday-Thursday until 8 PM, Friday 'til Noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment